The Environmental Protection Agency regulates muriatic acid as a toxic substance. Muriatic acid is a hazardous liquid which must be used with care. The acid itself is corrosive, and concentrated forms release acidic mists that are also dangerous. If the acid or mist come into contact with the skin, eyes, or internal organs, the damage can be irreversible or even fatal in severe cases. The use of personal protective equipment is essential.
Skin Contact – If muriatic acid comes into contact with your skin, flush immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and remove any contaminated clothing. In case of serious skin contact, use water, a disinfectant soap and anti-bacterial cream. Seek immediate medical attention.
Eye Contact – If muriatic acid or acidic mists get into your eyes, immediately flush with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Seek immediate medical attention.
Ingestion – If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Seek immediate medical attention.
Inhalation – If you inhale muriatic acid vapors or mists, seek fresh air and immediate medical attention.